As web developers, we need to rely on our knowledge, and choosing solutions we’re already familiar with is often the most convenient approach to solving a problem. However, not only technology is evolving but also our knowledge of how to use it.
Further Reading on SmashingMag: Link
- Mobile Navigation For Smashing Magazine: A Case Study1
- Improving Smashing Magazine’s Performance: A Case Study3
- Using Sketch For Responsive Web Design (A Case Study)4
Concept & Design Link
- Levi Kovacs shares alternative ideas and concepts to the hamburger menu5.
- The folks at Brand.ai published a new tool for version-controlled design collaboration workflows in Sketch6.
- PHP (probably 7.2) will get an implementation of Libsodium10, one of the most modern and best cryptographic libraries available. This is a huge step forward that’ll improve security for millions of users.
Web Performance Link
- Harry Roberts explains why you shouldn’t use base64 in CSS and why base64 and gzip don’t work well together11. He also dives deeper into performance differences to help you figure out the best solution12.
- Jack Franklin explains context in ReactJS applications13 — something that’s discussed a lot in the community and often defined in many different ways. Jack explains why it exists, when to make use of it, and how you can avoid using it.
Work & Life Link
- Jason Fried wrote about depending less on each other in a company16 to ensure that team members don’t slow each other down.
- Basecamp gives insights into why they chose profit17 as their route to a healthy work environment and a sustainable business.
Going Beyond… Link
- So how can you be sure to not leak data from your phone or computer to authorities when you cross the border20? According to The Verge, the only reliable way is to delete it upfront. An interesting look at the options you have and why it can indeed make sense to delete your data on the phone and restore it later from the Cloud, if you want to avoid any hassle.
And with that, I’ll close for this week. If you like what I write each week, please support me with a donation21 or share this resource with other people. You can learn more about the costs of the project here22. It’s available via email, RSS and online.
- 1 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2015/09/mobile-navigation-for-smashing-magazine/
- 3 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2014/09/improving-smashing-magazine-performance-case-study/
- 4 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2015/04/using-sketch-for-responsive-web-design-case-study/
- 5 https://uxplanet.org/great-alternatives-to-hamburger-menus-d4c76d9414dd
- 6 https://blog.prototypr.io/goodbye-final-final-sketch-hello-brand-ai-artboards-75f65bec8f17
- 7 https://uxplanet.org/great-alternatives-to-hamburger-menus-d4c76d9414dd
- 8 https://uxplanet.org/great-alternatives-to-hamburger-menus-d4c76d9414dd
- 9 https://uxplanet.org/great-alternatives-to-hamburger-menus-d4c76d9414dd
- 10 http://news.php.net/php.internals/98281
- 11 https://csswizardry.com/2017/02/base64-encoding-and-performance/
- 12 https://csswizardry.com/2017/02/base64-encoding-and-performance-part-2/
- 15 https://appendto.com/2017/02/vue-jss-single-file-components-keeping-it-all-in-one-place-2/
- 16 https://m.signalvnoise.com/depend-less-on-each-other-507fe0e23e4b
- 17 https://m.signalvnoise.com/why-we-choose-profit-e511efc4dcb9
- 18 https://m.signalvnoise.com/depend-less-on-each-other-507fe0e23e4b
- 19 https://m.signalvnoise.com/depend-less-on-each-other-507fe0e23e4b
- 20 http://www.theverge.com/2017/2/15/14629022/border-search-customs-data-privacy-encryption
- 21 https://wdrl.info/donate
- 22 https://wdrl.info/costs/